1. Profile chemistry of three core herbs: coriander, basil, and a perennial herb species
2. Examine the impact of different seasons on flavour profile over three sequential years
3. Examine the impact of production system on flavour profile
4. Examine the impact of inputs on flavour profile
5. Associate flavour profiles with consumer liking
The project will enable the industry to reduce waste emanating from unsold or discarded herbs and will support agronomic practice that optimises inputs for flavour quality. The project will enable the herb industry to promote UK grown products by decreasing imports during the UK season reducing footprint and potentially waste.
At present, herbs are frequently wasted at the retail and consumer points in the supply chain, at the former because they fail to meet quality standards of appearance or longevity due to slow sales, and at the latter because the flavour profile or intensity does not meet consumer expectations. The project will enable UK herb growers to produce product with a consistent and desirable flavour profile; thus increasing sales and ensuring that more of the product grown is sold.