HDC project cost: £17,645
Aims and objectives:
• Conducting comparative tests at the LIA of the electrical input versus light spectral output of a wide range of lighting systems being marketed for the horticultural sector, this will include LED and plasma sources benchmarked against SON/T’s.
• Measuring the variance in light distribution from commercial luminaires.
• Engaging with the LIA to suggest new lighting systems which may have application in horticulture.
• Gaining a wider understanding of maintenance requirements, impacts on health and safety and lamp life cycles.
• Developing a lighting technology transfer event in conjunction with the STC, using an LIA consultant as a primary presenter.
• Working with the STC, and using the data developed above to provide an up to date lighting guide for the horticultural industry. This guide will then provide a framework for future reporting of the STC program, as this develops.
• The Farm Energy Centre will provide outline advice on implications for the electrical installation costs of new installations.
You can view related publications below:
Lighting: The principles - Click here to download Lighting: The principles
Lighting: In practice - Click here to download Lighting: In practice
Lighting: The review - Click here to download Lighting: The review