Production systems for extending the UK strawberry growing season
From fixed polythene tunnels to unprotected field production, discover the wide variety of systems that have been developed to enable strawberries to be grown almost year-round in the UK.
The range of production systems
A range of different production systems enables UK growers to spread the cropping season. These systems include:
- Glass or fixed polythene tunnels
- Portable tunnels for field-grown crops
- Portable tunnels for tabletops
- Film or fleece advancement of field-grown crops
- Outdoor, unprotected field production
- Outdoor, delayed field production
- Outdoor, 60-day field and tabletop production
- Outdoor and protected everbearer field production
- Portable tunnels for tabletop everbearers
Table 2 compares planting dates (yellow) for each system and the subsequent cropping pattern (red)
Producing strawberries under glass and tunnels
Fixed or portable, glass or polythene, find out all you need to know about growing under protection.
Producing strawberries outdoors
'Old school' production with some modern tweaks. Learn about all the options available to you with our comprehensive outdoor growing guide.
Scott Raffle, AHDB, Robert Irving, ADAS and Graham Moore, FAST Ltd